Prepare your application
The online application form takes about 30 minutes to complete.
What you’ll need when you apply:
- how you plan to fund your studies
- supervisor name (you should speak to the supervisor before applying)
- 2 academic references from your most recent place of study
- an academic transcript of your undergraduate degree showing modules and marks achieved
- degree certificate (if you have already graduated)
- English language qualification (if required)
- CV (also referred to as a resume)
- research proposal (if you are planning your own project or if it states you need to provide it)
Apply as early as possible if you need to secure a UK visa or if you are applying for funding or sponsorship. Deadlines for research funding are usually at least 6 months in advance of the start date.
Some projects will have a different application procedure. This is usually the case when the project is funded by a doctoral training partnership.